Bored of always serving your dishes with rice, pasta or potatoes? I have the perfect solution. Actually, it was my sister, Dorota, who had a solution first, and I totally stole her idea and I'm sharing it with you. Of course I added my own touch to it and you can do your own spin on the dish as well. Oat cakes - fast, easy, cheap, healthy and delicious, can you ask for more? It really can change an ordinary dinner into something exciting and "different", give it a try. Here is the recipe (serves 4):
* 2 cups old fashion oats
* 1 cup boiling water
* 2 eggs
* 1/2 cup fresh, chopped parsley
* 1/3 tsp cumin
* salt and pepper
* 2 tbsp olive oil
1. In a bowl, combine oats, cumin, salt, and pepper. Mix everything together.
2. Add boiling water, mix in and let it stand for 5 minutes to soak up all the water.
3. Add eggs and parsley and mix everything until combined.
4. In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil and using a spoon form 4 medium cakes (using half of the oat mixture) and cook 3-4 minutes on each side on a medium heat.
5. Remove cakes, add remaining tbsp of olive oil and cook another four cakes.
You can serve them with whatever you want to, chicken sauce, mushroom sauce, whatever-you-feel-like sauce. You can probably eat them without anything, whatever you prefer. They are very filling and will keep you satisfied for a while. Cumin is just a perfect spice to use here, but you can get as creative as you want and make your own version.