So the Super Bowl 2013 is behind us and as always it was a lot of fun, a lot of emotions, and a lot of food... bad food. To make things even worse, I decided to make manly, "footbowly" appetizers... no fresh veggies, no bright colors, no nutritional value, but instead lots of flavor and attitude! A mix of unorthodox spices paired with ginger caramelized onions makes these sliders irresistible, so make sure you make more than you think you will need!
* 15 mini sourdough buns (it was a party!!!)
* 2 lbs lean ground beef
* 2 tbsp gourmet burger seasoning (my favorite is Weber)
* 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
* 1 tsp cumin
* 1/2 tsp garlic powder
* 1/4 tsp cinnamon
* horse radish sauce
* 15 slices pickles
* 3 large onions, very thinly sliced
* 1/2 tsp fresh, grated ginger
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 1 tbsp butter
* 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
* 1/2 lime
1. In a skillet, melt butter with olive oil, add onions, ginger, salt and Worcestershire sauce and cook on medium heat for 20-25 minutes until onions are caramelized. Add lime juice, mix everything together, and set aside.
2. Combine ground beef with burger seasoning, ginger, cumin, garlic powder, and cinnamon. Using your hands, mix everything together and form small, flat patties (makes about 15).
3. Heat iron cast skillet to a high temperature and cook patties for about 2-3 minutes on each side.
4. To assemble sliders, cut buns in half, spread a little bit of horse radish sauce on one half, and top with a teaspoon of caramelized onions, burger, and a pickle slice.
Like I said... not too many fresh ingredients, but it's so good, that you won't even miss them! I thought that making sliders rather then regular burgers will save us some calories, but we just ate twice as many, so no savings here! And guess what... I don't regret a thing, it was all worth it!