Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Behind the bars!

   So I promised that I would bring something sweet to work for my coworkers and I was planning on making good old oatmeal cookies until I saw this recipe on TV. Giada was making oatmeal bars with apricot jam and some nuts and I thought that it just sounded delicious. And it's super easy to make as well. They are not your typical bars, they came out much softer and more resembling a cake, but that is not a bad thing at all!

Ingredients:

*  1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
*  1 cup packed light brown sugar
*  1 tsp cinnamon
*  1 tsp baking soda
*  3/4 tsp fine salt
*  1 3/4 old fashion oats
*  1 cup (4oz) pecans, chopped
*  3 tbsp sesame seeds
*  1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
*  2 eggs
*  1 tsp vanilla extract
*  1 13oz jar apricot preserves

Directions:

1. In a bowl whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
2. Stir in oats, pecans, and sesame seeds. Add eggs and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
3. Add melted butter, mix everything together until the dough forms.
4. Line up the bottom of a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with parchment paper. Using your fingers spread and pack half of the dough in the bottom of a baking dish, top with apricot preserves, and cover with remaining oat dough.
5. Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
6. Let them cool completely before cutting to avoid crumbling.




   Unfortunately I won't be able to tell you how they taste, because I don't eat sweets during lent, but looking at how quickly they disappeared, I assume they were pretty good. I know that they smelled awesome. Everybody who tasted them really liked them and came back for more... so I think I did good.

Enjoy,
Magda

No comments:

Post a Comment