... of the dinner, that is! It's been a while since we had our friends over for dinner... and even though I would have lunch with Ms. Laurie here and there, I missed our double date dinners. Sometimes we do something special and sometimes we do something casual... like taco night or like yesterday - home made pizza night. But, since I told you we will start from end of the dinner... there will be no pizza recipes today... I'm going straight to the dessert! Mixed fruit cobbler... I was really craving something homey and comforting and what better than warm cobbler with a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream? Here is the recipe:
* 4 cups frozen fruit (I used mix of peaches, strawberries and raspberries)
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 3 tbsp corn starch
* pinch of cinnamon
* 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup fine corn meal
* 3 tbsp sugar
* 1/2 tsp cinnamon
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubbed
* 1 cup cold half & half (1-2 extra tbsp might be needed)
* 1/2 cup sliced almonds
* 1-2 tbsp sugar for the top
1. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients of the filling (do not defrost the fruit). Transfer into greased baking dish.
2. In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, corn meal, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and butter cubes. Pulse few times until mixture resembles crumbs.
3. Transfer into a bowl, add almonds and 1 cup of half & halt. Mix with the wooden spoon until combined and wet. If it's not wet enough add some extra half & half. It should stick to your fingers.
4. Using your hands, drop the dough by pieces on the top of fruit and sprinkle the top with some sugar. Bake at 375F for 45-50 minutes until top is golden brown.Wait for it to cool down a little, but serve warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Do you really need an explanation for this one? Doesn't it look delicious? Sweet, juicy and fruity with a delicious crunchy topping! The perfect dessert for a casual dinner with great friends.