There is nothing wrong with delicious bolognese sauce or any other pasta sauce for this matter, but I always try to come up with a new recipe. I already have few which we really like, but we will be definitely adding this one to the list. Vegetarian eggplant pasta sauce with tiny hints of Indian spices... why not? Eggplant is one of these vegetables that has to be done just right in order for me to like it. Eggplant curry, baba ghanoush, moussaka ... and now also eggplant spaghetti sauce. All delicious and worth trying!
* 1 large eggplant, peeled and cubed
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
* 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
* 1 tbsp coriander powder
* 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
* 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
* 1 tbsp brown sugar
* 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
* 1 tbsp soy sauce
* 2 tbsp olive oil
* salt and pepper
1. In a deep skillet heat olive oil, add onions, eggplant and fresh cilantro and cook for 5-6 minutes.
2. Add crushed tomatoes, all the spices, season with salt and pepper and cook everything for 15 minutes until eggplant is soft. If the sauce is too thick, dilute it with some water.
3. Remove from heat and stir in grated Parmesan cheese. Serve with pasta.
Chunky, saucy and delicious, with a hint of cumin and coriander. It's a really great alternative to a meat sauce if you are trying to cook more vegetarian dishes, or if you are just looking for new ideas.