Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Reconstructed sweet and sour chicken.

   
   Many people asks me where I take my recipes from, well... I just made them up as I cook. It's really not that hard, just don't be afraid to experiment and use a variety of ingredients. And yes... sometimes you end up with a not so tasty dish, but that's OK, with time you will get more experience and learn what ingredients work best together! And if something doesn't work, troubleshoot and keep changing things until you get the right balance! This is the way I came up with some of our most favorite dishes. The only thing I struggle with is to remember what exactly I put into the dish, so I can replicate it exactly the next time. I notice that I have the same problem in the lab... I think it's high time to work on my note taking skills!!!
   Anyway, today was the day when I made one of those dishes, which I just put together in a spare of the moment few years ago, and I keep making it once in a while. Who said sweet and sour chicken has to be heavy, sticky and unhealthy? Its all about creative reconstruction!
   All you need is: chicken breast, onion, dried fruit (I use cranberries and cherries), apples and olive oil. Heat the olive oil in a skillet, add cranberries, cherries and onions and saute for 2-3 min. Add chicken, salt and pepper, and cook some more. When chicken is ready add chopped apples and cook for 2-3 min more and it's done!




   You have sweet (apples) and sour (cranberries/cherries) chicken! Fast, easy, healthy and delicious! As you can see I couldn't stop myself and added a little bit of potatoes, hey it's a vegetable!!!

   I'm sure you're gonna like it! Good luck.

Magda.

No comments:

Post a Comment