Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Which side do you prefer?

   I'm not talking about your right of left side (hopefully you like both of them equally)... I'm talking about starch or veggies! Some people mostly focus on the main dish (usually meat) when planning a dinner party but for me the side dishes are equally as important. I always serve two of them, one being a starch and the other one a salad (again one of those Polish habits) and I try to keep them different and original each time. This time I decided to change the old and boring rice into a healthy, fun, fresh, and flavorful dish, full of fiber and vitamins. It might not be the most inventive and sophisticated dish but it definitely is super delicious. Here is what you need:

*  2 cups basmati rice
*  1 cup wild rice
*  1 cup fresh green peas
*  1/4 red onion (finely chopped)
*  1/2 tsp powdered ginger
*  1 tbsp soy sauce
*  1/2 stick of butter (melted)
*  1 tbsp lemon juice
*  salt and pepper

   Cook the basmati and wild rice separately in salted water with ginger. I usually boil my rice in an excess of water and when it's soft, but still a little bit al dente, I drain it in a strainer. Mix the cooked rice together, add fresh peas, chopped onions, melted butter, lemon juice, and season with soy sauce, pepper, and salt as desired.




   It's delicious! Ginger and lemon juice give it a fresh and exotic flavor, peas gives it sweetness, and red onion gives it a crunch. Justin is not a starch eater but he loved this one so much that he even had seconds!

Enjoy.
Magda

No comments:

Post a Comment