Here is another one of the simple dishes that I make once in a while for a quick and delicious dinner. It takes only few ingredients mixed together, covered with cheese, and baked to perfection. It can be made with any ingredients you want or have on hand and always tastes good. I am talking about quiche, a French pastry crust dish filled with an eggs/cream/cheese mixture. Not only will you end up with a delicious dinner, but also you can show off in front of your friends that you can make French dishes! Here is my favorite combination of ingredients (makes 2 quiches)
* 2 store bought quiche crusts
* 1 cup cooked broccoli
* 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
* 1 1/2 cup shredded crab meat
* 8 eggs
* 1 1/2 cup fat-free milk
* 2 cups reduced-fat shredded mozzarella
* 1/2 tsp curry powder
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1 tbsp butter
1. Whisk eggs, milk, and spices together. Add shredded mozzarella cheese, divide in half, and set aside.
2. Saute sliced mushroom with butter for 5 minutes until softened, mix with cooked broccoli and transfer into one of the crusts, and cover with half of the egg mixture.
3. Fill the other crust with shredded crab meat and cover with the egg/milk mix.
4. Bake both quiches at 380F for about 45 minutes. Let it cool for 15 minutes before serving so everything can set.
I think the broccoli/mushroom quiche is my favorite. Portobello mushrooms are so meaty and flavorful, and broccoli is fresh and crunchy. But that doesn't mean the the crab quiche isn't good.
It's actually Justin's favorite, so we didn't have to fight for last piece, because each of us wanted a different one. Is that a perfect marriage or what? You can probably fill it with anything and when you cover it with eggs and cheese... it will taste good no matter what.