Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Can I call it Indian food?

   No, I don't think I can. I used some Indian spices and it tastes delicious, but I don't think it gives me the right to call it Indian just because of that. It's like somebody would put kielbasa in a dish and call it a Polish dinner. Not cool. So let me just call it a delicious curry chicken with couscous. I found this recipe a long time ago when I still lived in Cleveland and when I was just starting to experiment with different spices. It was probably one of those dishes that made me fall in love with curry powder and we've been together ever since! It's really fast and easy, so it's perfect for a week night when you have to work late. Try it for yourself, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. What you need is:

1 chicken breast
1 chopped onion
2 crushed cloves of garlic
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 cup of fat free sour cream
2-3 tsp of curry powder (to your taste)
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
lots of parsley
olive oil
salt and pepper.

   Heat the olive oil in a pan and add mustard, and cumin seeds cooking them for a couple of minutes until they release some of their delicious aroma, then add onions and garlic. After the onions are translucent, add chicken and cook for about 5 minutes. Then add curry powder, tomato sauce, parsley, salt, and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes until the chicken is completely cooked and finish everything by adding the sour cream. It's done, I told you it was fast and easy! Serve it with couscous or rice, I prefer couscous because it's a little bit more flavorful and healthier.




   It's a perfect dish... it has a character, it has the looks, and it makes you warm during cold nights, it's almost like a perfect man... almost! Speaking of cold nights, what is going on with this weather... I think I froze my ears today just by walking to my mail box! Brrrr, I need some hot tea, which by the way goes great with a curry chicken!

Stay warm.
Magda.

No comments:

Post a Comment