Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Plate full of energy.

   I'm no vegetarian, but I do love my veggies. Raw, cooked, baked, or roasted, I love them all, and I have no problem cooking a meatless dinner. If I know my husband it probably wouldn't be his first choice, but he is a good sport and eats his veggies like a pro (well, at least most of them). I have a perfect dish for anybody who wants something healthy but comforting, flavorful but light, rich but low in calories, and full of vitamins. If you like what you hear you should definitely try Chickpea Vegetable Curry, a fast and delicious stew perfect for a health conscious food lovers. All you need is:

2 cans chickpeas
cauliflower (broken into small florets)
2 large carrots (chopped)
1 chopped onion
1 cup of raisins
small bag of baby spinach  
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp of grated ginger
1 cup chopped cilantro
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp corriander powder
1 tsp ground cumin
juice from half a lime
olive oil
salt

   Saute onions, garlic, and ginger with the olive oil for about 2-3 minutes. Add carrots, cauliflower, raisins, spices, cilantro, and cook for 5 minutes. When the vegetables are a little bit softer (but still have bite to them) add chickpeas, spinach, lime juice, a cup of water, and simmer with the lid on for about 10 more minutes. That's all it takes and you end up with an awesome satisfying dish.




   You can serve it with rice or couscous if you want, but it's not really necessary because the dish can stand on its own no problem! A big bowl of it makes the perfect guilt free dinner.

Take care.
Magda

2 comments:

  1. You say that meatless meal wouldn't be your husband's first choice! I'm so familiar with it!!! ;).
    Remember all the meatless dinners we had growing up in Poland! I remember pasta with sweet cheese, or with strawberries and sweet cream, or "kopytka ze skwarkami"! Our guys are so spoiled!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kasia, I totally agree! Every Friday we would have a completely meatless dinner and nobody complained:). Justin will eat vegetarian dinner no problem but he always looks at it and says: "Oh, no meat?".

    ReplyDelete