Thursday, January 5, 2012

Story of one sloppy man!


   No, I’m not writing a post about my husband! He is actually one of the neatest people I know. Today I decided to be a little bit sloppy in the kitchen, or actually not as much in the kitchen as in the dining room and I made sloppy Joes. I was sure that this sandwich was named by a woman married to some Joe who is not too careful while eating, but I was mistaken. It was created in 1930s in a Sioux City, Iowa by a cook named Joe and anybody who ever had it before knows why it is called sloppy, no explanation needed there! I remember when I had my first sloppy Joe sandwich I didn’t really understand the concept, why would you want to eat a sandwich filled with loose meat which is landing everywhere but your mouth? I changed my mind after I tasted it, who cares that it’s sloppy when it tastes so good, and who said we always have to eat dinners with a fork and knife? Time to get dirty and have some fun! Here is the recipe:
 
1 lb lean ground beef
1 chopped onion
1 chopped green bell pepper
2 garlic cloves
1-2 tsp yellow mustard
0.5 cup ketchup
3 tsp brown sugar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp olive oil
salt, pepper
hamburger buns (as soft as you can get, otherwise they will just squeeze the meat out and you won’t even taste it)

   Saute onion, garlic and bell peppers with some olive oil, add meat and cook for 5-10 min. Drain the liquid, add all other ingredients, and mix everything together. Then bring it to a boil, reduce heat, and cook for about 10 minutes. Traditionally it’s served on a plain bun, but I couldn’t stop myself and added some greens, it just wasn’t right and needed some vitamins. 



    Yummy. Very, very sloppy, but yummy! I challenge you to eat it wearing white clothes and over a white table cloth! Let’s see how much fun that would be.

Enjoy.
Magda

No comments:

Post a Comment