Saturday, January 21, 2012

How simple is that?

   This was a busy week. Between work, shopping, volleyball, and parties I did not have too much time to post anything. Even though I was too busy to take pictures or write a blog I was still cooking, but I decided to make quick and easy things, which can be eaten for a couple of days. I am a big soup person, and I mean BIG soup person. I think it must be a "Polish" thing because we usually have soups everyday and we don't really call a meal a dinner unless there is soup involved. Well, maybe I exaggerate a little bit, but I just wanted you to get the point. The most well known and the simplest soup in my opinion is tomato soup. Everybody knows it, mostly everybody likes it, and everybody can make it. I tried changing, modifying, adding and removing ingredients until I achieved the perfect combination. What you need is:

1 can tomato sauce
1 chopped onion
1 large carrot (thinly sliced)
fresh basil
broth (chicken or veggie)
1/2 stick of butter
1 tsp sugar
1-2 tbsp ketchup
salt and pepper

   Boil sliced carrots in a broth until they are soft but still have a tiny crunch to them. Add tomato sauce, sugar, salt and pepper and... ketchup, yes ketchup! I know it's hard to understand, but trust me I was trying to perfect this soup for many years and there is nothing better then a couple of spoons of ketchup. It just gives it an unbelievable sweet but tangy taste. To finish the soup you don't need any cream or milk, all you do is saute onions with butter and lots of basil, blend them with a little bit of water, and add to the soup. The onion/butter combination is just great and makes the soup ten times better. Try it.




   If the soup isn't satisfying enough, you can either have a grilled cheese sandwich with it (it's so american and I never had it before I came to the US) or you can have a healthy, fresh, and delicious salad. Toss together lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, olives, a little bit of shredded cheese, and a dressing of your choice (my favorite is raspberry vinaigrette) and the salad is ready.




   Quick, easy, healthy, and delicious, what can be better for a busy week?

Enjoy.
Magda.

No comments:

Post a Comment