What to make for dinner, what to make? I came home and started looking around the fridge/freezer and pantry. Three boxes of "almost finished" pasta (all different shapes), a little bit of frozen spinach, leftover frozen broccoli, and a little bit of the milk on the bottom of a carton. Not enough to make anything, but too much to waste (I never waste food!!!). If only there was a recipe that combines all those things together. Oh wait... casserole, you can put anything in it, cover it with cheese and have the best dinner ever! I'm not even calling it a recipe, here is the "list of leftover ingredients" I had on hand:
* 1 lb pasta (different shapes and sizes)
* 2 cups broccoli
* 1 cup spinach, frozen and thawed
* 1 lb turkey breakfast sausage
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 4 eggs
* 1 cup fat-free milk
* 2 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
* salt and pepper
* pinch of nutmeg
1. Cook the pasta to al dente,drain and set aside.
2. In a skillet, saute onions and turkey breakfast sausage until cooked and browned.
3. In a deep bowl whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add 1 cup of mozzarella, broccoli, spinach, rosemary, pasta and turkey sausage. Mix well together, transfer into the greased baking dish, top with remaining mozzarella cheese and bake at 350F for 30 minutes.
4. Let it stand for 10 minutes before cutting into it so everything can set.
Delicious! I love casseroles, they are the perfect way to get rid of all the leftover ingredients and make a comforting dinner... and a few lunches too. You don't need to stick to the ingredients I listed and you can use whatever you like/have, I'm sure it will be good.