Well, maybe not the entire party, but at least the appetizer! I think appetizers are the most challenging part of the dinner party for me. I hate to repeat them, I always look for new ideas and I try to make them rather then buy them. I mean there is nothing wrong with some delicious cheese and crackers, but I can't serve it every time (even though I can eat it every day!). I usually try to make something small (one-bitters preferred) and something light that will leave some space for dinner, especially for our "girls-night-in" dinners. It makes us feel more sophisticated, delicate and feminine when we eat a light appetizer ... and it allows us to "pig out" on ice cream later on (and all the femininity goes away!). This time I came up with the lightest of the light appetizers, super easy, super fast and super delicious cucumbers with herb cream cheese.
* 1 seedless cucumber
* 8 oz light cream cheese (room temp)
* 2 tbsp fat-free sour cream
* 2 tbsp fresh chopped mint
* 2 tbsp fresh chopped basil
* 1/2 tsp garlic powder
* 1 tbsp lime juice
* salt and pepper
1. Whisk together cream cheese and sour cream.
2. Add herbs, lime juice and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
3. Slice the cucumber, layer them on a platter, and using a piping bag, top the slices with the cheese mixture.
I mean how simple is that? You can make dozens of them in no time... and you can eat dozens of them in no time as well, no need to feel guilty about it either. It's basically water and herbs... cucumber - 96% of water, herbs - pure health, oh and cream cheese, but it's mostly calcium...right???