Sunday, January 13, 2013

Finger licking good!

   Well, to be honest it's not only finger licking good, but skillet/spoon/plate licking good... and if I dropped it on the floor...I'm afraid it would be floor licking good too (did I go too far?). I am talking about chicken liver pâté... oh, what are those looks for? It's not that bad, actually just opposite, it's amazing (the title)! Yeah I know it's hard for somebody who is not a fan of liver (if you could only see Justin's evil look that he gave me when I said I'm making it), but trust me, it's so smooth and flavorful and when you spread it on a crunchy slice of baguette - you will be in heaven! Even Justin enjoyed it, I'm not sure he was in heaven, but he ate a fair share of it! Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

*  2 lbs chicken livers
*  1 large onion, finely chopped
*  2 garlic cloves, minced
*  1 stick of butter (8 tbsp)
*  5 bay leaves
*  6 all spice berries
*  1/3 cup white wine
*  1/2 tsp ground thyme
*  salt and pepper

Directions:

1. Clean chicken livers from excess fat and membranes. Rinse under cold water, drain and set aside.
2. In a skillet, melt 1 stick of butter and saute onions and garlic with salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaves, and all spice berries until cooked and soft (8-10 minutes).
3. Add cleaned livers and cook until brown, firm and completely cooked through (about 10 minutes).
4. Add white wine and cook for 5-6 minutes to reduce the liquid by half.
5. Remove bay leaves and all spice berries, transfer into a food processor and blend until smooth.
6. Transfer into ramekins and chill in the refrigerator for over night (or at least 4-5 hours).




   Call it poor man foie gra, I'll take it! It's so good! A little bit bitter, smooth, and creamy! I always eat it with bread or crackers, and a slice of dill pickle... I don't know what it is about this combination, but it just works. Try it... even Justin liked it!

Good luck,
Magda  

No comments:

Post a Comment