Sunday, April 21, 2013

No skimpy shirmp!

   What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of Chinese food? Shrimp fried rice - that's my choice! So simple, but so delicious! I love to make my own at home because I can pack it with whatever ingredients I want and with as much ingredients as I want (no skimpy restaurant shrimp portions). I load mine with lots of veggies (especially snow peas - love, love, love), scallions, and pile it with a mountain of freshly cooked shrimp. I know your mouth is watering right about now... I know mine is! Here it is (serves 4):

Ingredients:

*  1 lb raw shrimp
*  2 cups brown rice
*  1 cup snow peas
*  1 cup froze carrot/peas mixture
*  1 red bell pepper, chopped
*  6 scallions, chopped
*  2 eggs
*  2 tbsp butter
*  2 tbsp olive oil
*  1 tsp garlic powder
*  salt

Sauce:
*  1/4 cup soy sauce
*  1 tbsp hoisin sauce
*  1 tbsp agave nectar
*  1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

Directions:

1. Cook brown rice in salted water for 30 minutes, drain and set aside.
2. In a deep skillet melt butter, add shrimp season with garlic powder and a pinch of salt. Cook for 3-4 minutes until pink and cooked. Remove the shrimp from a skillet and set aside.
3. Into the same skillet add olive oil and when it's hot add bell peppers, snow peas, carrots/peas, and scallions. Saute for 4-5 minutes on high heat. Add prepared sauce and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
4. Add eggs and cook for 2 minutes constantly mixing.
5. Add cooked rice and shrimp and mix everything to combine.




   Oh that juicy, juicy shrimp! Crispy veggies, juicy shrimp, super flavorful sauce... how can you not like it? You add what you like, as much as you like, and no need to pay for a second helping... perfect (homemade) takeout!

Enjoy,
Magda

1 comment:

  1. Looks so yummy! Would be great for lunch. One of my favorites..haven't had it for ages,

    ReplyDelete