* 2 15oz cans garbanzo beans, washed and drained
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
* 1 13oz can coconut milk
* 1 small (8oz) can tomato sauce
* 1 tbsp cumin seeds
* 1 tbsp mustard seeds
* 1 tbsp white dal
* 1 tbsp ground coriander
* 1 tbsp garam masala powder
* 1 tbsp curry powder
* 1 tbsp light brown sugar
* 2 tbsp olive oil
* salt and pepper
1. In a deep skillet heat the olive oil to high temperature and drop in cumin seeds, mustard seeds and white dal. Stand back and immediately cover the pot with the lid - it will splatter. Cook in oil for 1-2 minutes.
2. Add chopped onions, reduce the heat and cook for 3-4 minutes to soften.
3. Add tomato sauce, coconut milk, cilantro, scrape the bottom of pot and cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add garbanzo beans, season with brown sugar and salt, and cook on a low heat for 10 minutes until sauce thickens.
5. Serve with cooked rice or quinoa.
Creamy, tangy, a little bit spicy, and very satisfying! I just love coconut milk, not only is it smooth and silky, but also it's delicious and comforting. With a dish like that, you won't even notice that there is no meat at the table!