Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Chilly outside and chili inside!

   Oh yeah the time has come. The chilly weather is here no matter if we want it or not, and we all know what that means! It means that we can cook and eat as much chili soup as we want! Everybody knows that it is the perfect dish for cold weather! Dense, meaty, saucy, beany (yes, I just created a new word!), just a little bit spicy, delicious dish, which is super easy to make. I always make a huge pot of it, portion it in plastic containers, and have lunches for a minimum of 3-4 days for the both of us! And no, you don't get fed up eating the same thing for a few days in a row, it's that good!




   I do have to confess that my chili soup is semi-home made (I use chili spice mix) and I make it with low fat turkey instead of beef! It's just something we do with Justin, we usually substitute ground beef with ground turkey breast if we can. Much better for you and your waist.
   All I do is saute 2 pounds of ground turkey breast with two big cans of crushed tomatoes, one can of black beans, one can of red kidney beans, and two packets of McCormick Chili Seasoning Mix (no they don't pay me for advertising, I just really like their stuff). They have three different options: mild, original or HOT! I started with using mild, but believe it or not, I evolved and now I use one original and one hot! After everything is combined just cook it for 15-20 min, stirring all the time because it sticks to the bottom of the pot. Turn off the heat and leave it covered for a while so the flavor can develop. A real Texan man I know thinks that chili tastes the best the next day, and I totally agree with him!

Stay warm.
Magda.

No comments:

Post a Comment