Monday, October 31, 2011

To squash or not to squash?

   We have all heard about spaghetti squash but how many of us actually use it? Well, I know I never did until today! I tried it mostly because I was curious how it tastes and also because I'm looking for some substitutes for pasta, which we love and eat a lot, way too much!
   There are two main ways, or at least two that I know of, that you can prepare it. It can be either boiled, which takes about 20 min, or roasted, but in this case be ready to wait an hour or so. They are supposed to have a different taste depending on the method you use, but I'm sure you know already which one I chose! Roasting is good for the weekend when you have a lot of time and you are not starving after work, especially with all this Halloween candy laying around, waiting for the kids! The choice was either to make dinner ASAP or have a sugar overdose!
   I will show you step by step what I did and how did it turned out, and you decide if you like what you see and if you want to try it. There is many different types of pumpkins and squashes so make sure you buy the one which actualy says: spaghetti squash.  :)




   Be prepared to use some muscles...and a very sharp, heavy duty knife because this thing is not a joke! Cut it in half lengthwise...




    ... scoop out all the seeds and "guts" (that's an appetizing word right there!)...




   ...and boil for 20 min (or until it's tender) skin side up. When it's done just take a fork and shred the pulp into strands.




   Add your favorite sauce and you have a great dish. I went with shiitake mushroom sauce with some onions and parsley. Yummo!




   I loved it! Creamy and delicious and I could eat it all the time. I think you have to be a squash lover from the beginning though because Justin, who never was a big fun of pumpkin/zucchini/squash family wasn't too crazy about it. He ate it, at least most of it, and he said it's only that much he can handle. Little as he knows there is already a lunch packed for tomorrow with a second half of the squash! Oh well...
   I am absolutely recommending it to anyone who loves to experiment in the kitchen and is not afraid to try new things!

Good luck.
Magda.

No comments:

Post a Comment