Tuesday, October 4, 2011

What can be more Polish than that?

   This is the day I've been waiting for ever since we got to Poland! All I wanted is some real and absolutely not figure friendly Polish food. I've been eating it for most of our time here, but today my Mom made the most Polish dinner of all. The funny thing is that when I was a kid I didn't even like it that much, especially the soup.... made out of beans with a hint of smoked bacon. Yeah, I can honestly say I used to hate it, but not today. I had a full, and I mean full plate, and I loved every spoon of it!




   My Mom makes it a little bit spicy with some potatoes and lots of herbs. I don't know what it is... if my taste just changed after all these years, or I just love everything my Mom makes now, but I definitelly enjoyed this soup, which I used to hate as a kid.
   But this post is not really about the soup. What I really wanted to show you is schabowy (pork chop) with potato and cooked sauerkraut.  It's a very traditional and I think very underappreciated dish nowadays. I had it the other day in a restaurant and after Justin ate half of my portion, all he wanted is another one. So Mom made it for us today... oh man it was good. Notice that I said "it was" because there is none left! Justin didn't want it to dry out so he took care of buissiness! The schabowy was very tender inside, crunchy on the outside and very, very flavorfull. And there is nothing better than pairing it with smooth mashed potatoes and a sauerkraut, which is cooked for a long time with some veggies, cumin seeds and a little bit of bacon. It's very sour, just on the edge, but it's perfect for the heavy schabowy! Well you can't really tell how it tastes...you just need to eat it yourself to understand why I am so exctited about it, but maybe a picture will help a little.




   And just when we think that we are in heaven and there is nothing better  ... my Mom brings us a cherry kompot (call it juice but its not the same, Polish people will understand) made out of cherries picked in the summer from our own garden. Delicious!




   And no matter what people say this dinner will never taste the same if it's not made in a Polish home in Poland! I tried.

Hope you enjoyed it.
Magda

1 comment:

  1. HI Magda,
    I think it's always like that especially when you live abroad for a long time..it's the same for me. Now I love everything what my Mom cooks (especially the traditional things).
    Hope you had great time in Poland and love the blog by the way.

    Aga

    ReplyDelete