Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Let's talk Indian food...

   ...or better yet, let's eat some Indian food! I am sure that all the Indian people out there will pull their hair out reading about what I made and that I tried to call it Indian, but for me it tastes very "Indiany" :). I never really cooked a lot with eggplant until I met my Indian friends and watched them use it a lot. Every time they made something with it, it was always flavorful and delicious, like most of the Indian food. The only thing I can't really handle is the heat level that most of my friends cook with. That's why I had to start making my own Indian dishes so that I could control the amount of heat and fully enjoy the amazing flavors.
    I don't even know what the name of the dish I made tonight is. I don't even know if that's an actual dish, because I just combined few of my favorite Indian ingredients and cooked it for a while so all the flavors can develop. I heated the olive oil to a high temperature, added a teaspoon of mustard and cumin seeds, garlic, onions and a little bit of pickled ginger. I then sauteed it for 2-3 minutes, added chopped eggplant and fresh tomatoes, salt, pepper, garam masala, coriander powder and of course the most famous: curry powder. After all of it was in the pot I decreased the heat and cooked it for 10-15 minutes until everything was tender and tasted like ambrosia!




   We all know that none of the Indian dishes would be complete without some soft, fluffy and delicious naan bread (courtesy of a local Indian market). You can buy it frozen, it keeps forever and takes 5 minutes in the oven to be ready!
   How can somebody not like a delicacy like that? Such an easy way to get one step closer to the wonderful Indian culture!

Namaste,
Magda

3 comments:

  1. baingan ka bharta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my anonymous friend. It's good to know my dish actually exist and has a name:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious!!
    I am a big fan of this particular Indian dish "baingan kaa bharta"

    ReplyDelete