Thursday, November 10, 2011

Not so awful offal!

   Oh yeah, that's right, I cooked something that not everybody is too comfortable with! I do that sometimes. It took a while for Justin to get use to my craziness in the kitchen and while there are some things he likes more then others, there are also things he wont eat at all, but chicken gizzards are not one of them. I remember the first time I made them not too long after we just met, he looked at me, looked at the dish, and then again at me, but he was the bravest man ever and ate everything that was on the plate! After a few days he actually admitted that it was much better than he expected and now we have them every once in a while!
   The only thing you need to remember is that it takes a long time become tender, so unless you have all day to cook, I would recommend using a pressure cooker. Cut the chicken gizzards into smaller pieces (whatever size you like), add chopped onions, baby carrots, salt, pepper, 3-4 bay leaves, and a teaspoon of soy sauce. Pour enough water to cover the meat, close the pressure cooker, and cook for about 30 minutes. I know it's a long time, but trust me, those bastards can be hard to chew! After it's done add some flour and one or two tablespoons of sour cream to thicken the sauce and it's ready to serve!




    I usually serve it with barley or buckwheat which makes it extra Polish. To prepare it heat a little bit of olive oil, add crushed garlic and ginger, 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce, a cup of frozen pees/carrots and cooked barley. Mix everything together, season to the desired taste with salt, and Ta-Da, delicious dinner is ready!




   I know it can be a little bit intimidating at first, but don't be afraid, it's delicious! Try it, you could be very pleasantly surprised! It's all about experimenting in the kitchen and trying new flavors and ingredients!

Hopefully I didn't scare you.
Magda.

1 comment:

  1. Zoladki hihih ja chyba bym sie nie skusila :0)

    ReplyDelete