Sunday, November 6, 2011

Two of my favorite things.

   Everybody who knows me well will tell you that I have a huge addiction to eggs. I could eat them all the time in every shape and form (like there is so many egg shapes!) and never get sick of them! Trust me, I tried! The second thing I absolutely can't live without is mushrooms. Fresh, dried, canned, steamed, cooked, roasted or raw... I love them all. So when I got this cooking magazine from my friend, and the first thing I saw was mushroom and egg tart, I thought I went to heaven and I knew it's going to be my Sunday dinner (the perfect day to be in Heaven!). Of course I changed the recipe at every single step. It wouldn't be me if I followed it exactly would it? First of all, rather than making a tart, I made it into a pizza (well I was too lazy to make a puff pastry), I used different mushrooms, red onions rather than yellow, and I completely changed the herbs because I couldn't find tarragon, which recipe called for, but I have a huge rosemary plant in my garden which I used instead!
   It's the easiest recipe ever. Saute thinly sliced red onions and mushrooms with butter until caramelized and add lots of rosemary, parsley and oregano. Spread it on pizza dough making 6-8 "pockets" where you can crack the eggs. Make sure the "pockets" are secure so the eggs won't mix together. I used 8 eggs so we can have 4 portions (guess what we have for lunch tomorrow?). Sprinkle with some Parmesan and bake in the oven at 400F for 10-15 minutes until the egg whites are set but yolks are still a little bit runny, depending on how you like them.




   It looks awesome, doesn't it? And it's delicious, too! It's definitely in the top ten dishes I've ever made! I had to be really fast to pack lunches for tomorrow because the boys (Justin and Spikey) got really excited and I was afraid there will be nothing to pack!





   Add a glass of cold beer and you have a perfect Sunday dinner!

Enjoy,
Magda.

1 comment: