Thursday, December 15, 2011

A little healthy, a little unhealthy, and whole lot of tasty!

   Probably you wonder what this could be? Shredded zucchini (a little healthy), fried (a little unhealthy), and served with a BBQ flavored chicken sauce (a whole lot of tasty)! I was looking through some magazine and I found a recipe for zucchini fritters, which reminded me of our potato pancakes, so I decided to give it a try and check if they are equally as delicious. Justin was a great sport and didn't say a word, but I knew he wasn't too thrilled, first because he is the executive shredder in my kitchen (not his favorite activity) and second because I was cooking zucchini (not his favorite veggie).

Fritters:
3-4 medium size zucchinis
2 eggs
1 finely chopped onion
a little bit of flour ("a little bit" is a very scientific term in my kitchen and it means about 2-3 big spoons)
salt, pepper and a fresh herb of your choice (I had cilantro in my fridge)

   The most important part of the preparation is to find somebody who will grate the zucchini, if you can't find anybody you are stuck doing it yourself. To get a nice texture in the fritters use a grater with large holes and don't peel the zucchini (just make sure you clean it well). Mix the zucchini, onions, flour, eggs, and spices together making sure that all the ingredients are nicely combined. Heat some olive oil in a pan, just enough to cover the bottom, and spoon the mixture forming small pancakes. You can make them as small or as big as you want, but remember that the smaller you go the easier they will be to turn, and much crispier too. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until they are nicely browned.




   They are absolutely delicious on their own and I could just eat them like M&Ms, but I had a feeling that Justin needed an "encouragement", something to sweeten the deal (at the end it's still zucchini, which he hates with a passion). I had some leftover rotisserie chicken in the fridge so I just chopped it, mixed it with carrots and peas, added a little bit of BBQ sauce, and finished it with a big spoon of sour cream.




   I was sure that Justin will use 10:1 ratio of sauce to fritters but I was very pleasantly surprised when he actually loved the fritters by themselves. Yeah, he covered them with the sauce pretty generously, but I saw him really enjoying sinking his teeth in those fritters made from one of his biggest enemies.

Oh and Spikey sank his teeth into one, too!
Magda.

3 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! Im going to try it! (We have a similar one but with potatoes or rice. Never tried zucchinis!). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the potato version too, but these came out delicious! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Magda, in this particular case, the frying just "kills" all the healthy part, depending on the temperature and if you use Justin and what uses Justin to fry the fritters, one thing I do not doubt, those things are for sure DELICIOUS!! congrats on the blog, go and go get a facebook "like" button (it's in the badges area on FB) so we can like your blog too! they look like this www.richmondlaptop.net (please disregard the webpage design, I just put the button and the entire thing took me like 3 minutes), looking forward to a video conference through skype with you guys.

    ReplyDelete