Friday, December 23, 2011

The ultimate Suthern Belle.

   OK, making shrimp and grits doesn't make me a Southern Belle (it would take much more than that), but I am really fascinated by delicious comfort southern food and I want to learn how to cook it. Ever since I came to the US, especially after moving to Richmond, I kept hearing about the famous shrimp and grits, and couldn't stop and wonder what's so special about them? One day we discovered this small and cozy place called Mosaic Cafe (you should definitely check this place out!) and I found out why so many people are crazy about the glorious shrimp and grits! Their version of the dish is absolutely insane. Creamy, cheesy, buttery, bacony, smooth, and rich... do I need to go on or do you get my point? It was love at first sight... I think Justin should be a little bit jealous about my relationship with this lowcountry cuisine dish. I can't spend all my time in the Mosaic Cafe so I decided to start cooking it myself... and as always I make a healthy version of it (the guilt after consuming 2789 calories in one sitting was just unbearable)! What you will need to prepare the dish is:

2 cups of skim milk
1 cup of water
3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
1 cup of fat free shredded cheddar cheese
6 slices of turkey bacon (chopped)
1/2 chopped onion
1 small chopped red pepper
1 lb cleaned shrimp
1/2 teaspoon of hot sauce
salt and pepper

   Boil milk with water, add salt, grits, and cheese, and cook on reduced heat for 5-6 min while stirring often. Meanwhile in a skillet saute bacon until brown and crispy and then set it aside. In the same skillet saute onions, bell peppers, shrimp and hot sauce until everything is cooked and then add prepared earlier bacon. To serve, spoon grits into a shallow bowl, top with shrimp and you will end up with a piece of heaven on a plate.




    There is nothing left to say. It speaks for itself. If you are a fan of comfort food, shrimp and grits should definitely be on your to-do list.

Good luck,.
Magda.

No comments:

Post a Comment