Sunday, December 11, 2011

Same dough different filling.

   I don't want to repeat myself and show you pictures and recipes of the same dishes all the time, but I definitely think that cabbage pierogies deserve their own post! A few weeks ago I posted cheese and potato stuffed pierogies and I think it is high time to present you with equally Polish and delicious version filled with cabbage, mushroom, and onions. Usually I don't make them that often, first because they are pretty time consuming and second, and most important, because we always end up making a bucket of them and can't stop devouring them. Pierogies reveal our animal instincts in us and it ain't pretty. This time I had an excuse because my sister-in-law was visiting and her husband is a huge fan of Polish pierogies, so there was no way I wasn't going to make them for him. If somebody tells me that they love my food I am willing to make pierogies twice a day for them! Joe is a cabbage/mushroom lover so the choice was simple. The man has great taste because those are one of my favorites too. This is what you need to make the filling:

1 cabbage (shredded and cooked)
2 cups of chopped mushroom
1 chopped onion
salt and pepper.

   Saute the onions with the mushrooms and mix it with the previously cooked cabbage. When you are seasoning the mix make sure you put a little bit more salt that you would normally would because boiling water will suck some of it out. It's that simple and you end up with a great dish.




   Oh, did you notice the delicious, brown crust on my pierogies? That's the best way to heat them up, rather then using microwave, I just reheat them in a pan. Not deep fry them, just brown them on both sides with a little bit of the olive oil so they won't stick to the bottom. It makes them crispy and crunchy on the outside while the inside portion of the dough is still chewy, gooey, and perfect.




   Oh yeah, you know you want them. They look amazing and taste even better, correction, they looked and tasted amazing. Remember I told you about our animal instincts... well, they struck again... and pierogies are gone!

Have a great evening.
Magda.

2 comments:

  1. mniam
    I would add some fresh ginger to the filling (like in chineese dumplings)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, that sounds delicious! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete