I love Fridays! Not only because it's the beginning of the weekend, but also because it means that we are having rich, delicious, and comforty food for dinner!!! Oh, how I love Friday dinners! So yesterday, half way through my work day, I already started to plan what I'm gonna make that would satisfy my need for comfort. I definitely did not want to go to the store, so it had to be something that could be made out of things I had at home. And that's how we ended up with cheddar and dill scones with a peppery chicken gravy! Here is the recipe for scones:
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 tbsp baking powder
* 1 tsp salt
* 1/4 cup fresh chopped dill
* 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
* 1 stick of cold butter cut into pieces
* 2 eggs
* 1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk
1. In a food processor combine flour, baking powder, salt, dill, and butter. Pulse until everything is combined and butter is in a small chunks. Transfer to a large bowl.
2. In a separate bowl whisk eggs and buttermilk together and pour it into a flour mixture.
3. Mix everything together until combined and using your hands knead the dough
4. Transfer it onto a flour covered surface and divide it into two equal parts. Roll the dough into 1 inch tall circles and cut them into 6 pieces (like how you would slice pizza). Transfer onto greased baking sheet and bake at 400F for 25 minutes.
The scones are super fluffy and cheesy... if you want comfort, that's your dish! I am probably going to make them for breakfasts for the entire next week! They are very good on their own and they don't really need anything else, but this time I decided to serve them with a black pepper chicken gravy. Here is the recipe:
* 1 chicken breast (cooked and shredded)
* 1 small onion (chopped)
* 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
* 1 cup fat-free milk
* 1 cup water
* 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
* 1 tsp black pepper
* 1/4 cup chopped parsley
* olive oil
1. Saute onions with olive oil, add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add milk, water, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper, mix everything together and cook for 5 minutes until thickens.
2. Add shredded chicken and parsley, pour over the scone, and it's ready to enjoy!
It's kind of like biscuits and gravy. The thing is that I'm not really crazy about biscuits, but I love scones (go figure!), so I definitely enjoyed that dish! If you don't like gravy, don't worry... just try the scones, they are awesome.