Let me tell you a story about my husband, or actually a story about how awesome my mother-in-law is. Once upon a time, when my husband was a young and wild bachelor, his mom told him that he has to learn how to make at least one "real" dish, so he can cook it for his future wife (God bless her heart for that!). She took him to the Sur La Table (a kitchen store) and told him that she is not leaving until he chooses all necessary items to make something from the scratch. How lucky am I that he chose a sushi kit? She got him books, a bamboo rolling mat, spoons, sushi molds... you name it, he got it! And from that moment sushi became his signature dish. First time he made it for me (a couple of weeks after we met) I was so impressed that I was ready to marry him there and then (but don't tell him that!). So every time we have home made sushi, I take my executive chef hat off, hand it to Justin, and become a sous chef for the night! You can put any combination of fish and veggies inside of the rolls, but this is what we did this time:
* 2 cups sushi rice
* 3-4 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
* pinch of salt
* 10 sheets seaweed
* smoked salmon
* fat-free cream cheese
* crab legs
* soy sauce
* wasabi paste
* pickled ginger
1. Using a rice cooker, cook the rice according to the instructions. Pour rice vinegar over cooked rice, mix together, and let it cool.
2. Place one sheet of seaweed on a bamboo rolling mat, cover the seaweed with prepared sushi rice
(don't stuff too much on) and leave an inch of the seaweed bare at the
3. Cut fish and veggies into long, thin pieces and place ingredients length-ways in the center of the rice (use any combination you like, make it your own creation)
4. Using the mat, roll the rice around the filling and press lightly to seal. Cut into small pieces and serve with wasabi, ginger, soy sauce, and some beer!
We love sushi and we could probably eat it all the time. It's not easy, it's not quick either, but it's so worth it. Unfortunately, I can't take any credit for it! All I did is cut the ingredients and took the pictures, everything else was done by my top chef husband!