Man, who would have thought that this week will be so busy... well, actually I knew exactly how busy it would be... this one and all that follow. But craziness at work, long days, and late "home comings" will not stop me from cooking, photographing, and posting, so don't you worry! It may delay some stuff, maybe make some things a little "simpler", but definitely won't stop me from doing it. So today I made something mushroomy, herby and oniony (I don't understand why all those three words got highlighted as a mistake? Somebody is trying to tell me they don't exist?). Well they do exist in my dictionary! Here is the recipe for a caramelized red onions and mushroom tart:
* 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1 tsp sugar
* 3 tbsp cold butter, cut into small pieces
* 1/2 cup fat-free cream cheese
* 3 tbsp ice water
* 1/3 cup chopped parsley
* 2-3 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
* 3 red onions, thinly sliced
* 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
* 2 cups chopped mushroom
* salt and pepper
* olive oil
1. In a food processor combine the flour, herbs, salt, and sugar. Pulse to combine.
2. Add the butter
and pulse until the butter is finely chopped and the mixture resembles a
coarse meal. Add the cheese and the ice water and run the
machine just until the mixture is moist and crumbly, but does not form a
ball. Do not over mix. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Roll the crust and transfer into a greased tart dish.
4. Heat the olive oil in a pan, add sliced onions, Worcestershire sauce, sprinkle with salt, and cook for 15-20 minutes until onions are caramelized. Remove from the pan and set aside.
5. Into the same pan add chopped mushroom, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook for about 5-6 minutes.
6. Cover the crust with layer on caramelized onions, top with mushroom and bake at 400F for 25-30 minutes.
It may sound impossible but the tart is super rich and super light at the same time. To make it even lighter and healthier, I usually serve it with a side of greens (mostly to silence my guilt). I'm sure all my vegetarian (and not only) friends would love it.