Sunday, November 25, 2012

An Appetizing Mouthful!

   Remember how I told you that Justin's mom is a great cook and she prepares an awesome Thanksgiving feast? Well, this year was no different, except for the fact that she asked me to bring some appetizers. It sounds easy, but with all the delicious dishes that follow the appetizers, I had huge shoes to fill (not literally, Justin's mom has tiny feet!). I needed to make sure that it's something not only yummy and delicious, but also good looking, because that's what everybody is used to! I wouldn't be myself if I didn't come up with something new and never tried before (at least by me). I totally improvised and added ingredients as I went, but I have to admit that it turned out pretty good and people seemed to really like it. Here is my recipe for cheese and bacon stuffed potatoes:

Potatoes:

*  20 small potatoes
*  2 tbsp olive oil
*  garlic powder
*  2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary

Filling:

*  8 oz cream cheese
*  3 tbsp fat free sour cream
*  1 cup mozzarella cheese, finely shredded
*  1/2 cup chopped scallions, chopped
*  10 slices reduced fat turkey bacon
*  1 tbsp garlic powder
*  1 tsp soy sauce
*  salt and pepper, to taste
*  1 tbsp lemon juice

Directions:

1. Wash and scrub potatoes (do not peel), pat dry and using a fork or a sharp small knife prick potatoes to release the steam.
2. Place potatoes on a baking sheet, coat with olive oil, garlic powder and fresh chopped rosemary, and bake at 400F for 40 minutes. Take out of the oven and cool completely.
3. Cut bacon slices into very small pieces and crisp in the pan (about 6-7 minutes). Set aside
4. In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients of the filling with crisped bacon (reserve a spoonful for garnish) and mix together.
5. Cut cooled potatoes in half and using a melon baller scoop out most of the potato flesh.
6. Using a piping bag fill potatoes bowls with the filling, garnish with crisped bacon, and serve!




   A little bit smoky from the bacon, creamy from the cheese, and fresh from the lemon juice! A perfect bite, or two. It might not be the fastest dish I've ever made, but it's super easy and definitely worth it!

Enjoy,
Magda.

No comments:

Post a Comment