* 2 cups red lentils
* 2 cups white rice
* 1 medium tomato, chopped
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 2 garlic clove, minced
* 1 cup fresh chopped cilantro
* 2 tsp turmeric
* 1 tsp curry powder
* 1 tsp chili powder
* 2 lbs lean ground beef
* 1 cup mixed frozen vegetables
* 1 tbsp curry powder
* 1 tbsp Garam Masala
* 1 tbsp coriander powder
* 1 tbsp ground cumin
* salt and pepper
* 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. In a pot combine 2 cups of red lentils, chopped onion, minced garlic, tomato, turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt, pepper and 2 cups of water. Bring to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until lentils are cooked. You can adjust the amount of water, to get a thick and dense mixture without burning it.
2. Cook 2 cups of rice, mix it with lentils, add fresh cilantro and set aside.
3. In a non stick skillet, brown the beef, add vegetables and all the spices and cook for 5-6 minutes.
4. To assemble the casserole, grease a large baking dish, spread half of the rice/lentil mixture on the bottom, top it with the meat layer, and cover with remaining rice and lentils. Top the casserole with a mozzarella cheese and bake for 20 minutes at 350F.
5. Let the casserole cool and firm up for at least 15 minutes before cutting into it.
Wow, the recipe makes a huge batch of casserole! We might be eating it for a while, but it's actually really good so I'm not complaining. It has some kick from the spices and chili powder, just a perfect amount to keep it "interesting", but not too hot!