Wednesday, December 5, 2012

No-heart-attack Chowder!

   Who doesn't like a nice and chunky chowder? I love any kind... corn, potato, veggies... but New England clam chowder is probably one of my favorite soups in the entire world. I always feel guilty when I eat the "real thing", because it's loaded with butter and heavy cream, and I just can't eat as much as I would like to. Today's post is not going to be about clam chowder, but a regular, simple veggie version with some turkey bacon (I needed to throw in something that Justin would be excited about too). And the best part of this recipe is that it has no butter, no heavy cream, no loads of calories. Check this out:

Ingredients:

*  2 large potatoes, finely chopped
*  2 carrots, finely chopped
*  5 celery stalks, finely chopped
*  1 large onion, chopped
*  20 slices turkey bacon, chopped
*  1 cup frozen corn kernels
*  1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped

*  4 cups skim milk
*  2 cup chicken broth
*  1 tbsp olive oil
*  3 tbsp flour
*  1 cup dry white wine
*  1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
*  1 lime 
*  salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

1. In a deep pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil and saute onions and turkey bacon for 5 minutes. Add potatoes, carrot, celery salt and pepper, and cook for 5-6 minutes.
2. Add flour, mix together and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add white wine, scrape the bottom and cook for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add Worcestershire sauce, milk, chicken stock and desired amount of water to make it as dense as you like.
4. Add corn and parsley, and cook until veggies are tender. Finish with juice squeezed from 1 lime and it's ready to serve.



   I like it hot, I like it chunky... and that's exactly how this chowder is! The lime juice makes it refreshing and light. I usually cook my chowder for no longer then 15-20 minutes, just to cook potatoes, without loosing the texture of other veggies. It's just perfect!

Enjoy,
Magda.

No comments:

Post a Comment