Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Sexy legs!

   No, not mine...the chicken's! I love chicken legs! I am definitely a dark meat lover, which is another example why me and Justin are the perfect marriage... he loves white meat and I love dark... this way no part of the chicken is wasted in our house! We don't have to fight for the same piece of meat, like I used to fight with my sister for a leg (yes, I know, usually chickens have two legs... but my father, unfortunately, liked them too!). To make drumsticks sexy (like they need sexing up!) I prepared them in a luscious, silky, coconut and curry sauce and cooked them until the meat got super tender! I know you agree with me that it sounds sexy... wait until you try it! Here is the recipe (serves 4):

Ingredients:

*  8 chicken legs (drumsticks)
*  1 large onion, chopped
*  1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
*  2 garlic cloves, minced
*  15 oz can coconut milk
*  16 oz can tomato sauce
*  1 tbsp turmeric powder
*  1 tbsp curry powder
*  1 tbsp coriander powder
*  1 tsp ground ginger
*  1 tbsp brown sugar
*  2 cups chicken broth
*  vegetable oil
*  salt and pepper

Directions:

1. Coat the bottom of Dutch oven with vegetable oil and heat to a high temperature.
2. Dry chicken legs with a paper towel, sprinkle with salt and pepper and brown on both sides (3-4 minutes each). Remove from the pot and set aside.
3. To the same oil add chopped onions, garlic and cilantro. Cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add turmeric, curry, coriander, ginger and brown sugar, and cook stirring constantly for about 3-4 minutes.
5. Add chicken broth, tomato sauce and coconut milk, scrape the bottom of the pot, bring to boil.
6. When the sauce is boiling, return chicken legs to the pot, cover with the lid, transfer into the oven and bake at 350F for 1 hour.




   It's the best served with Basmati rice (or any rice for that matter), a perfect vehicle for this delicious, silky sauce. Chicken is juicy and tender, practically falling of the bone. Such a comforting dish!

Enjoy,
Magda.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there! Are you an often online visitor or maybe you are more into face to face communication?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making these right now and they smell glorious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chicken legs didn't absorb the spices so I shredded the meat and it tastes great as a soup! Saw this on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete