Sunday, May 12, 2013

Searching for the "one".

   I always hear mixed opinions about fish tacos, some people love them, some people hate them. I've had few different versions of them and I wasn't really that impressed. I can't say I hated them, they were OK, but I would rather have something else. So as always, I took it as a challenge to make my own and see if I can come up with a recipe that will change my mind about this dish. I decided to pair the fish with some red cabbage slaw and marinated onions - I thought that the acid and crunch would make them much better. So here is my creation:

Ingredients:

*  10-12 oz fish (I used cod)
*  1 tsp taco seasoning
*  salt

*  1/4 red cabbage, thinly shredded
*  1 tsp salt
*  1 apple, shredded
*  2 tbsp fat-free mayo
*  2 tbsp Greek yogurt
*  1 lime
*  1 tsp sugar

*  1 small red onion
*  1 cup apple cider vinegar
*  1 cup water
*  1/2 cup sugar

*  4 corn tortillas

Directions:

1. Using mandolin slicer, thinly slice red onion into half moons.
2. Transfer into a large jar and cover with a vinegar/water/sugar mixture. Refrigerate for minimum 2 hours (over night preferred).
3. To make coleslaw: mix thinly shredded red cabbage with 1 tsp of salt and using your hands "massage" and squeeze the cabbage. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Add mayo, Greek yogurt, sugar and lime juice. Mix to combine.
4. Place fish on a baking dish, sprinkle with salt and taco seasoning and bake at 425F for 15 minutes.
5. Top tortilla with red cabbage slaw, flaked fish and marinated onions.





   Judgement time: they are OK, but again, I'm not too impressed. Everything is delicious (I love, love these marinated onions), but somehow I'm not a fish taco person. We ate them and enjoyed them, but I don't see us making them any time soon. The marinated onions on the other hand... I will make sure we always have them in our fridge - we use them on almost everything. But don't get discouraged by my opinion, if you are a fish tacos lover, you might enjoy the dish - it might be your new favorite!

Good luck,
Magda

No comments:

Post a Comment