Summer is almost here, that means it's time for delicious fruit cakes and desserts! It was my boss's birthday a few days ago and since he has a sweet tooth, I knew he would appreciate a cake as a gift. He is very health conscious and always trying to eat right, so I decided to make a fruit cake. Not that it has fewer calories than any other dessert, but at least he could have his serving of fruit with it! It's a super easy cake which requires almost no skill and no work... highly recommended.
* 1 stick of butter, room temperature
* 1 cup sugar
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 eggs
* 1 cup buttermilk
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 2 tbsp lemon juice
* 2 tsp baking powder
* pinch of salt
* 1 cup berries (I used blueberries)
1. Beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
2. Add eggs (one at a time) and beat some more.
3. Add buttermilk, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and pinch of salt. Mix everything with the spoon - it will look weird but don't worry.
4. Add flour and baking powder, mix everything together until it forms a smooth and dense batter.
5. Transfer into greased square baking pan, top with blueberries (push them gently into the batter) and bake at 350F for 50-55 minutes until golden brown.
Not too dense and not too dry, the buttermilk keeps it moist and a little bit tangy. You can use any berry you like, raspberries, strawberries... anything. Perfect for an afternoon break with a cup of tea or coffee!